The Court of Arbitration for Sport on Thursday kicked off an appeal hearing where Pakistan cricket player Mohammad Asif hopes for spot-fixing.
Matthieu Reeb, head of the Swiss-based tribunal, said the hearing was due to end at 6:00 pm that fast bowler Asif was there in person to fight his case.
On Friday, Pakistan Previous captain Salman Butt is due to attend a CAS appeal hearing on his own ban. The court is not expected to issue a ruling in their case this week. Butt, Asif and fellow fast bowler Mohammad Aamer was barred by the International Cricket Council for contrive to bowl deliberate no-balls during the Lord's Test between Pakistan and England in August 2010.
Salman Butt was banned for 10 years, with 5 suspended, Asif for 7 years with 2 suspended and the then teenager Aamer for 5 years. The trio was also jailed by a British court over the scandal in November 2011. All 3 were released last year after completing half of their sentences. Aamer, now 20, decided not to chase his appeal at CAS, after pleading guilty to the charges in Britain.
It's a high-profile case of 2 world-class players with the whole cricket world focused on it and we will fight to get the ban on its head, Asif's lawyer Ravi Sukul told AFP from London earlier this week. Asif was a terrific bowler and it was awfully unfortunate that a bowler of his class suffered this, but we will try our best to get this ban upturned and Asif is in high spirits.
Asif, 30, played 23 Tests and 38 ODI and was regarded as one of the best new-ball bowlers in the world. Butt, 28, was made Test captain on that important tour of England, and Aamer was regarded as the fastest emerging bowler in the world.